Faculty Biennial 2021
The Faculty Biennial Exhibition is a celebration of the creativity found within the current faculty of the NMU School of Art & Design. Highlighting creative achievements in all media and concentrations, this exhibition gives the NMU and broader community the opportunity to see the talent within the School firsthand. Also featuring a new exhibition curated by Rachel Fugate.
- Artists Included:: Daric Christian | Taimur Cleary | Steven Hughes | Brian Kakas | Emily Lanctot | Stephan Larson | Christine Lenzen | Michael Letts | Steve Leuthold | Gabrielle McNally | Jane Milkie | Peter Pless | Jason Schneider | Dennis Staffne | Alison Taras | Tracy Wascom | Dale Wedig
- February 19, 2021, 1 pm
- Discovering Nature
- Rachel Fugate discusses her curatorial research into the DeVos Art Museum's Japanese Collection. The talk focuses on the Lewis and Bennett collections, which are some of the earliest gifts to the University's art collection and form the bulk of the Museum's current Asian art collection. Discovering Nature uses nature to frame the Japanese artwork: showcasing landscapes, plants, animals, and other living creatures. Each piece highlights many ways Japanese artists responded to and represented nature in their works. The items on exhibit span the 19th and 20th centuries and represent both old and new practices in traditional arts and crafts. You can view the talk in whole at the link above.
- March 12, 2021, 1 pm
- Repose in a Void of the Senses
- This talk explores representation, evocation, and paradoxical reproduction of anesthesia in three American artworks: Thomas Eakins’ Agnew Clinic of 1889 (painting), Augustus Saint-Gaudens’ Adams Memorial of 1886-91 (sculpture), and John Cage’s 4’33” of 1952 (composition). Interweaving these case studies, this talk aims at discerning possibilities and difficulties of (as well as ambitions for) artistic expressions of anesthesia, behind an abundance of synesthesia in art.
- March 19, 2021, 2 pm
- On Practice Faculty Panel
- Learn more about several faculty artists' studio and teaching practice in a panel discussion moderated by Director & Curator Emily Lanctot featuring Christine Lenzen, Jason Schneider, and Peter Pless. Talk can be viewed in the above link
Speakers:Christine Lenzen, Emily Lanctot, Jason Schneider, Peter Pless